Employee Engagement in the U.S: Cause for Concern

February 20, 2015 Deb Broderson

Employee engagementDid you know employee engagement wasn’t always measured in an organizational setting?  In fact, it was only in 1990 that Gallup first introduced the employee engagement survey. Nowadays it seems second nature to measure engagement levels with all that we know about the ROI of Employee Incentive Programs and the clearly defined correlation between job satisfaction and job performance. Over the past decade, this valuable information has been seen and proven to be an integral part of business success.

With that said, here’s the alarming truth:

A majority of U.S. workers are not engaged at work.  According to a recent Gallup report, less than 32 percent of U.S. workers were engaged at work in 2014. That means the remaining 68 percent were either disengaged or actively disengaged. Although that number is up from 30 percent in 2013, it is still a cause for concern.

Of course engagement correlates closely with job hierarchy as indicated in the same report. It may come as no surprise that managers reported the highest levels of employee engagement at 38 percent, and employees in manufacturing and production reported the lowest levels at 23 percent.

Talk about both ends of the spectrum.

Something that may be less known is that Millennials are the least engaged generation in the workplace today. Only 29 percent of Millennials are engaged at work compared to their traditionalist counterpoints tapping in at 42 percent. According to the report, this low number can be linked to a simple truth. Young workers, especially those freshly graduated from college are not getting jobs that correspond with their specialization or desired career type. In fact, out of all previous generations, Millennials are less likely to “have the opportunity to do what they do best.” By working in a setting where they can not apply their skill-sets and talents, it is easy to understand why they become so suddenly disengaged.

With that said it is crucial for you as a company stakeholder to engage your employees and ensure they are satisfied and productive. Think about it, what are you currently doing as an organization that will increase employee retention and satisfaction levels? Do yourself a favor and start investing in your employees’ well being and desire to be recognized and rewarded. Consider implementing an Incentive Program today.


About the Author

Deb Broderson

Deb Broderson comes to Perks with 30 years of diverse experience leading channel marketing, marketing operations and program management teams within the technology industry. Deb has provided strategic direction to Fortune 500 clients, developed and executed global, multi-channel, go-to-market strategies and created worldwide field marketing organizations. Deb has worked on both the agency and client-side of the business, providing a well-rounded perspective to client challenges. Deb was honored as one of the Top 50 Channel Chiefs in North America by CRN.

More Content by Deb Broderson
Previous Article
Millennials on the Move: Get Gamified or Get Lost
Millennials on the Move: Get Gamified or Get Lost

Deb Broderson, VP of Marketing Millennials are the largest generation in the U.S., making up one-third of t...

Next Article
Maximizing Employee Engagement: Workplace Diversity
Maximizing Employee Engagement: Workplace Diversity

Having a diverse team definitely has its advantages and affects all aspects of the business. Employee engag...


Want insights more often? Subscribe to our blog!

First Name
Last Name
Subscribe to our Blog
Thank you!
Error - something went wrong!